Saturday 17 September 2011

Understanding, learning, and responsibility.

It’s early Saturday morning and for once the street outside my apartment in quiet.  My giant white cat is asleep out on the balcony and the sky is slowly brightening from pink to a faint blue.  It is a peaceful time and one perfect for reflection. 

Last year at this time I was deeply submerged in a master’s program- thesis writing, and reading piles upon piles of dry academic articles held my focus.  So how refreshing it is this year to be immersed in the joy of children, the craft of teaching, and all of the nuances both hold.  It has been a long time since I really enjoyed the material I was learning and even longer since the material seemed immediately applicable.  Right now I am truly engaged in the process and everyday see its value.  The name of this blog, The Joyful Educator, stemmed from how uplifting and exciting the elementary program has been for me.
This blog will reflect my growing understanding and appreciation for teaching and learning in the subject of English Language Arts (ELA) in the elementary grades.  So far I have had a week and a half of classes and the main thing I have learned is how much I still have to learn!  It will be interesting to watch the evolution of my understanding and practice over the next few months.
The question we were asked to reflect on this week is, “What do you expect English Language Arts to look like/ sound like/ be like in the Elementary School classroom?” The first image that came to mind for me was a brightly lit classroom full of colour and life.  A group of little ones sits around the teacher raptly engaged in a story book that the teacher actively reading.  The teacher uses different voices for the characters and lots of large gestures.  The children laugh or gasp in response.
Over the last week I have come to realise that ELA includes so much more.  At its core it is teaching the art of communication, both understanding and expressing.  It includes reading but also viewing; listening and speaking; and expression through writing and representing.  It can include art, drama, and media in a wide variety of forms.  The more I learn the more ELA seems to be a foundation to all of the other subjects and success in general.  This leaves me realising the responsibility we have to teach this subject well to all students.  What I hope to learn next is how. 

3 comments:

  1. I think you've done a great job of reflecting on what we are all looking to accomplish in the coming months. We have so much left to discover, and a great wealth of knowledge to uncover about the impact ELA (English Language Arts) will have on our future classrooms - let alone the understanding of just how wide-reaching ELA is.

    Funnily enough, I have the exact same vision for how the classroom environment would be, with all the children sitting around in rapt attention in a room full of colour and energy. However, I also think you're right in saying that ELA involves so much more than the reading and listening of typical storytime. It really does seem to be a foundation for developing crucial skills necessary in all classroom activities.

    I, much like you, am eager to develop a better understanding of the impact ELA will have in the classroom, and how to utilize that knowledge for the betterment of my students. I look forward to following along on this journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your enthusiasm, and am glad that you found a program that inspires you!

    Your image of the engaged listeners in a traditional setting is a good one too - and reminds me that balance is the key. There's a place for so many methods/strategies in ELA: old new and not even thought of yet; it really makes teaching exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy to be on the exciting journey with you! I am always left with a smile on my face when I talk to you about becoming a teacher because you are always so excited about every little detail. It make me very excited too. Your blog reflects your excitement quite well. I too agree that ELA is so much more then reading and writing and is used across all subjects. Bring on the "HOW!!"

    ReplyDelete